2 bulbs Kossack Kohlrabi
4 to 6 Rainbow Carrots
3 Tbsp. canola oil
2 Tbsp. tarragon or chive blossom vinegar (or plain white)
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley, curly or flat
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives, or garlic chives
1 Tbsp. whole grain or Dijon-style mustard
1/2 tsp. sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Peel kohlrabi and carrots. Be sure to cut off all of the tough outer peel of the kohlrabi. Set them aside. In a salad bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, chives, parsley, mustard and salt until well-blended. Add pepper, if you like. Using the large holes on a standing grater or a mandolin set up for fine julienne, grate the kohlrabies and the carrots into the salad bowl. Toss everything together until the kohlrabi and carrot are evenly coated with the dressing. Taste and add more salt or pepper, if you'd like.
-- Recipe by Marcy Lautanen-Raleigh
50 spears Dakota Winter onions, sliced into 1/8 - 1/4 inch (~1 cup) (can substitute other onion)
1 medium Dakota Tears onion, diced (~1 cup) (can substitute other onion)
4-5 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt, or add more to taste
1 medium MonDak Gold potato chopped 1/4-inch pieces (~1-1.5 cups) (can substitute other potato variety)
Ground pepper to taste
1 quart vegetable, chicken, or beef bone broth
3-4 cloves garlic (pressed through a garlic press)
(Optional) 1 cup spring greens (i.e. spinach or arugula)
3-4 spears of Dakota Winter onion, sliced thin, for garnish (can substitute other onion variety)
Grated cheese and/or croutons, for garnish
1. Rinse green onions; remove any damaged tips and slice.
2. Dice Dakota Tears onions.
3. Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil. Sauté Dakota Tears onions for 1 minute; add Dakota Winter onions and spring greens, sauté 2 minutes. Set aside.
4. Heat 2-3 Tbsp olive oil. Sauté potatoes until tender, ~7-10 minutes.
5. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt and a few twists of ground pepper.
6. Add broth to potatoes and heat to simmering. Remove from heat.
7. Add pressed garlic and stir in and let cool.
8. In batches blend onions and potato/broth mixture until smooth.
9. Taste test, adding salt, pepper, or more garlic as desired.
10. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with grated cheese, thinly sliced Dakota Winter onions, croutons and a few twists of ground pepper.
-- Recipe by Theresa Podoll of Prairie Road Organic Seed. Click here for original recipe.
4 cups of dried or fresh Molokhia, chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped (optional)
2 lbs. chicken
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp dried coriander
6 cups water or chicken broth
Salt and lemon juice to taste
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp allspice
3 Tbsp olive oil
1) Cut up the chicken into bite-size pieces. Add some water to a pot, and boil the chicken and onions. Add salt and spices. Cover and simmer until meat is tender.
2) Sauté Molokhia, garlic, and coriander in oil on moderate heat until crisp. Add to the meat and broth and simmer for 20 minutes or so.
3) Add lemon juice and mix well before serving.
4) Serve over cooked rice.
-- Recipe adapted by Tahani and Lutfi Othman, originally from Sahtein, copyright 1976 by Arab Women Union, Detroit, Michigan.
We need more recipes! Share your recipes here.